Translate

Monday 24 September 2012

Three things foodie



Firstly, it is with great sadness that I note that The WIld Elephant in Edinburgh has closed down. I was absolutely saddened to see the restaurant closed on Saturday evening when I was in Edinburgh.

Instead, friends took us to another Thai restaurant, Lemongrass, in Bruntsfield. I am also saddened to say that this place pales in comparison. My friends enjoyed their meals but mine was a second to the Green curry of the Wild Elephant. However, I must note that the service in this reataurant was very poor. We were given a table straight away and not told that a party was coming in at 8pm. We had just finished our main course and asked for the dessert menu, when the manager came over and said we should just have drinks, as the table was required.

We had not been informed of the time of the reservation, we saw several other tables of 4 being seated after us, not reserved and one of my friends did not hear this, so ordered a dessert, as did another friend. This was poor organisationa dn management and resulted in a scene with the people who were waiting more than half an hour for their table and the manager, who tried, I believe, to blame us for this delay. i heard the woman who booked the table stating 'No, this is your fault!'. It was not a good advert for this restaurant.

Secondly, my trip to mid Argyll saw me in a wonderful shop called Cockles, in Lochgilphead. I have family there and this shop is simply delightful. It is a fish mongers as well as a whole foods shop and the owner, Kay Hunter, is as friendly and as helpful as you could ask. They sell the best fish I have tasted in a while, less common flours and vingears, oils and more condiments than you could ever need. Cheese is another staple of this shop and their range is impressive given the compactness of the shop.

I noticed that they are recommended by Gourmet Britain, the Real Food Guide and Rick Stein, as well as Delia Smith :D They have a website: http://www.cocklesfinefoods.com/ I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Thirdly, while is the aforementioned shop, I spotted a wonderful product. It is hemp milk! I had never heard of this before and was surprised to find something this bizarre here. I am lactose intolerant and so gave it a try! Much tastier than soya milk, it was lovely without the pastey/powdery after taste. This particular product, called Good Hemp from Braham and Murray. 1 glass is 50% of the RDA of Omega 3. It is completely dairy/lactose free and contains natural omega 3, calcium and Vitamin D. It is also low in saturated fat! Wat a wonderful find in a wonderful shop. It is also easy to grow and is good at capturing carbon as well!

On another note, my second book, The Island of the Mist, is now available on both Kindle and paperback formats:

Kindle: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Mist-Kingslayer-Series-ebook/dp/B0092TUS7U/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1346945410&sr=1-2

And paperback: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Mist-N-Roy/dp/147921292X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346506656&sr=1-2

and in the US: http://www.amazon.com/Island-Mist-N-Roy/dp/147921292X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1346946271&sr=1-2&keywords=the+island+of+the+mist

And you can still obtain the first book, The Stone in the Sword: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stone-Sword-ebook/dp/B006ZQIEPG/ref=sr_1_3?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1327179005&sr=1-3

No comments:

Post a Comment